Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Settling in

I've finally settled in. It seems as if it was months ago that Matt picked me up from the airport and helped me carry my overstuffed suitcases up the stairs to our third-floor apartment, step-by-friggin'-step. Home Sweet Home?, nah, not so much. Although Matt had been living there for a few days already the apartment was completely bare except for Matt's stuff which included a tv, Playstation 3, a truckload of dvd's and videogames and a few suitcases which he had been living out of. Oh and the creme de la creme of armchairs, the epitome of chic and class a Homer Simpson inflatable armchair complete with beer can holder. Hmm. Typical bachelor pad. No furniture at all except for the kitchen which thankfully was fully-fitted complete with working household appliances and a toaster and kettle as Matt had been living off toast and tea the past few days. Although kudos to him because he had been a total sweetie and had bought me a mattress when he bought his so I'd have something to sleep on when I first got here.

The following day (Friday) we drove to Ikea. I had a splitting headache an hour into the spree, I thought my head would explode and a million different living room combination would come gushing out. After hours in the store we finally bought everything we could possibly need to outfit a house including our soon to be roommate's bedroom. We loaded Matt's car with as much flat-pack furniure and tidbits as we could and the rest of the stuff including my adored sofas would be delivered. The rest of the day was spent assembling the furniture and drinking wine after the exhausting trip. No wthat everything has finally been delivered our apartment looks like Edward Norton's apartment in 'Fight Club' so I'm trying to add some nice accent pieces picked up from markets and antique shops to give it a more personal touch, especiaaly my room. I've already copied my bedroom in LA and bought an array of old coathooks which I've stuck to the wall and from which I've hung bags, scarves and necklaces, I'm also planning to buy some nice prints to hang from the walls. The following few days have been a blur of assembling furniture, rain, pub and shopping. Finally, we got cable installed so we can now watch something else than Family Guy. Our new room mate is arriving on Friday, his name is Richard and he's German and I can't wait for classes to start as I have nothing to do at the mo except shop and go out and at this rate my finances are going to take a fatal blow before Halloween.

Yay! So now I'm up to date on my diary. I hate putting it off as then I have to write a uber-long post, hopefully I'll update it more often, I'm aiming for once a day.

No comments: